Manchester Trails Map (pdf)
MANCHESTER RIFLE & PISTOL RANGE
Starting July 13, 2013 the Manchester Rifle and Pistol Range will be open on Saturdays from 8:30 AM until 4:30 PM and Sundays 1:00 PM until 5:00 PM.
The Range will be Closed the following weekends:
Thanksgiving - November 28 -29 2015
Christmas- December 26-27 2015
New Year’s- January 2-3, 2016
It is suggested that you call ahead to ensure the range is open.
Range Phone: 803-494-4885.
A. All persons will familiarize themselves with all published and posted rules and disclaimers prior to utilizing the range.
- Due to safety requirements, all parking will be done on the hilltop except for on-duty staff, volunteers, handicapped individuals, and designated personnel. Vehicles may be driven inside the range area for the purpose of loading and/or unloading only.
- Proper hearing protection and eye protection is mandatory for all persons utilizing this facility.
- While in transit to and from the range facility, all firearms shall be unloaded and will either be cased or have their actions open. Open carry holsters are prohibited from being worn on the range at any times by anyone.
- All persons will sign in at the Range Office with the Range Master prior to approaching either firing line.
- Shirts and close-toed shoes will be worn at all times.
- Fully automatic weapons, three-shot bursts, extreme rapid fire (less than one second between shots), and tracer/incendiary ammunition are prohibited; no more than ten (10) rounds shall be loaded in ANY magazine regardless of the magazine’s capacity.
- SAFETY IS PARAMOUNT! All firearms will be treated as if loaded at all times. Muzzles will be pointed downrange at all times. Anyone ignoring the precepts of safe gun handling or of violation of the posted/published procedures will be expelled from the facility.
- Rifles and handguns will be restricted to their respective ranges at all times. Persons desiring to fire handguns at the 75 and/or 100 yard ranges shall make prior arrangements with the Range Master. After said arrangements, firing will then only be done at the 75 and/or 100 yard ranges from the designated position.
- Shotguns equipped with both a front and rear sight or telescopic sights and firing SLUGS ONLY may be fired from a rifle position.
- All other shotguns may be fired from the shotgun patterning position only. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Alcohol is prohibited on the range; eating, smoking, spectators, non-shooters, pets, open flames, and the use of cell phones is prohibited on the firing lines.
- Children will be under parental control at all times. Only one child at a time will be permitted on the firing line with an accompanying adult. Any and all other children, not actively engaged in shooting, will remain off and away from the firing line and under the supervision of a non-shooting adult.
- Rifle shooters under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an experienced shooter of not less than 21 years of age.
- Pistol shooters under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an experienced shooter of not less than 21 years of age.
B. On the firing line
- All firing shall be done at paper targets only.
- Shooting will be restricted to one shooter at a time per position; shooting position assignments will be on a first-come basis. Should all shooting positions be filled, a one- hour time will be imposed based upon sign-in time with the Range Master.
- The Range Officer controls ALL activities on the firing line AT ALL TIMES.
- Upon the command “Cease Fire:”
- All weapons will be unloaded and magazines removed, if removable.
- Actions will be locked back and remain open.
- Weapons will be grounded with the muzzles pointing downrange and ejection port facing upwards.
- Shooter will step to the rear away from the shooting position.
- Shooters will have no more than one weapon accessible at any one time.
- Should a shooter experience a weapon malfunction, the Range Officer will assist the shooter in removing the malfunctioning weapon to the range safety pit for repairs by the shooter. The Range Officer is not required to assist in the weapon’s maintenance and/or repair.
Upon insuring that the line is safe, the Range Officer will then permit the shooters to approach the targets.
NO ONE SHALL HANDLE ANY WEAPONS DURING A CEASE FIRE; ALL WEAPONS WILL REMAIN GROUNDED. SHOULD A PROBLEM ARISE, CONTACT THE RANGE OFFICER IMMEDIATELY.
C. Upon completion of firing, the shooter will perform the following:
- Return the target frame to the closest range.
- Pick-up all “brass”, to include ALL rimfire and steel surplus military cases, and place said cases into the proper designated receptacle.
- Remove ALL staples from the target cardboard backing; sign out with the Range Officer
- Return the target cardboard backing to the Range Office.
- Sign out with the Range Master.
MANCHESTER RANGE OFFICIALS RESERVE THE RIGHT TO INSPECT /EXAMINE ANY AND ALL WEAPONS AT ANY AND ALL TIMES.
ALL ACCIDENTS MUST BE REPORTED TO THE RANGE OFFICE.
Permits for the Manchester Rifle and Pistol Range can be obtained at the range during its operating hours, at the Manchester office on Headquarters Road, or by a daily or yearly permit for Manchester State Forest.
Manchester State Forest office hours are
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The office is closed on weekends and state holidays.
Phone: (803) 494-8196.
Some links on this page require Adobe Acrobat reader. If you don't have Acrobat Reader you can get it free from Adobe Systems Inc. Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) Copyright © 2011 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
Manchester State Forest
6740 Headquarters Road
Wedgefield, SC 29168
Forest Recreation / Manchester State Forest