Manchester Trails Map (pdf)
PALMETTO TRAIL REGULATIONS
- Permits are required for all activities except hiking.
- Permits can be obtained at Manchester State Forest Headquarters, Manchester State Forest Rifle & Pistol Range, or by mail.
- Annual permits are valid for one year from the date of purchase and are valid ONLY on the State Forest where purchased.
- Daily permits are valid for the date of purchase.
- Individuals 16 years of age and older are required to have a permit in their possession.
- Individuals 15 years of age and younger must be supervised by an adult 21 or older with a permit.
- Permits are nonrefundable.
- Organized events must be scheduled with forest headquarters at least 45 days in advance.
ALTERING OF TRAILS
State Forest Access Roads are open to licensed and registered vehicles only unless designated as part of the trail.
TRAIL USE DATES AND HOURS
The Palmetto Trail is open daily to users as indicated on the trail guide.
All users of the Palmetto Trail should take safety precautions during hunting seasons (September 15 through April 30).
Permits Required For Bicycle and Equine
- Permits must be in possession while riding.
- Individuals riding in violation of any regulation are subject to prosecution.
- Parking for trail use is allowed only at the designated staging areas as indicated on the trail guide.
- Riding is allowed only on the designated trail and as indicated on the trail guide.
- The trail is color-coded to correspond with the trail guide.
- Horses must be tied to picket lines to avoid damage to trees. Current negative coggins required.
All users and/or visitors agree to abide by all published and posted rules set forth by the State of South Carolina, S. C. Forestry Commission, Manchester State Forest, and that for and in consideration of the privilege granted by the State of South Carolina, S. C. Forestry Commission, Manchester State Forest, do hereby and forever release and waive for himself/herself, heirs, executors, administrators, and assigns the State of South Carolina, S. C. Forestry Commission, Manchester State Forest, its agents, servants, and properties, any and all claims, demands, damages, actions, causes of action or suits at law or in equity, of whatsoever kind or nature for or because of any matter or thing done, omitted, or suffered to be done by the State of South Carolina, S. C. Forestry Commission, Manchester State Forest, its agents, servants, or properties, on account of any and all claims of whatsoever kind or nature arising out of or in any manner connected with any presence or activities on the lands of the State of South Carolina, S. C. Forestry Commission, Manchester State Forest.
- Use caution when overtaking another, and make your presence know in advance.
- Obey all trail markings and crossings.
- Obey gate closures and signs.
- Ride to the right and single file.
- Pack out what you pack in.
Campsites are available at Poinsett State Park, (803)494-8177 or Sumter County Recreation Department’s Mill Creek County Park, (803) 436-2248.
Emergency Call Boxes
Manchester has installed three Emergency Call Boxes for trail users in the event of an emergency. There have been several accidents on the recreation trails, especially in the OHV area, and cell phone service is very poor in the Manchester area so the boxes were seen as a remedy for this communication problem in the event of emergencies.
When the button on the call box is pressed, the call goes directly to the Sumter County 911 Dispatch. The Dispatcher can communicate back with the caller and get emergency help as needed. Only emergency calls to the Dispatch Center can be made on these boxes. To make an emergency call press the button in the lower right corner of the box.
Manchester State Forest office hours are
Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
The office is closed on weekends and state holidays.
Phone: (803) 494-8196
Some links on this page require Adobe Acrobat reader. If you don't have Acrobat Reader you can get it free from Adobe Systems Inc. Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) Copyright © 2010 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.
Manchester State Forest
6740 Headquarters Road
Wedgefield, SC 29168
Forest Recreation / Manchester State Forest / Reference Resources / Forest Management