(Fire Departments Only)
The South Carolina Forestry Commission administers the Volunteer Fire Assistance (VFA) grants funded through the USDA Forest Service. The program offers 50/50 matching fund grants intended to increase firefighting capacity, especially of those fire departments serving communities in the wildland urban interface. Fire departments serving rural communities with a population of 10,000 or less are eligible for the Volunteer Fire Assistance grants.
The intent of the VFA/NFP grant is to help the rural volunteer fire departments meet the Wildland Urban Interface (WUI) challenge in South Carolina. Through financial assistance in purchasing wildland firefighting equipment and making necessary training available, rural volunteer fire departments can more effectively and safely assist the Forestry Commission in dealing with wildland fires that threaten the rural developments and communities they serve.
Priority will be given to those applying for the first time, assisting with SCFC Firewise Communities, purchasing communications equipment (especially radios), and needing to purchase equipment to outfit their federal excess equipment loaned or provided by SCFC.
[NOTE: To Open These Forms You Will Need Adobe Acrobat Reader.]
2016 VFA Grant Application Documents (Required Documents)
- VFA Form 1: Grant Application/Checklist
- VFA Form 2: List of WUI Communities Protected
- VFA Form 3: List of Equipment/Items Requested
- W-9: Request for Taxpayer ID Number and Certification
Appendix (Additonal Resources for the 2016 VFA Grants)
- Appendix A: Items Eligible for VFA Grants
- Appendix B: Type 6 Engine (Brush Truck) Specs- Suggested Requirements
- Appendix C: List of Vendors for Wildland Fire Equipment and Supplies
- Appendix D: Fire Service Mutual Aid Frequencies
- Appendix E: VFA Time Sheet Instructions and Time Sheet
- Appendix F: Completed Sample VFA Application
Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) - If Needed.
Some links on this page require Adobe Acrobat reader. If you don't have Acrobat Reader you can get it free from Adobe Systems Inc. Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) Copyright © 2016 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.