S-130 Wildland Firefighter Training
This course, developed by the National Wildfire Coordinating Group (NWCG), addresses the foundational skills universal to all wildland firefighters. Students must be affiliated with an NWCG member agency, a member of a valid fire department in S.C., or a State or local Government agency employee to be issued a final certificate.
- Material is broken into twelve on-line modules (1 to 3 hours each) and a mandatory, instructor led field day exercise. Each on-line module explains the concepts and skills that will be performed and evaluated on the field day exercise.
- The student must register before taking the course by completing a Course Registration Form and an Agreement and Waiver/Liability Release and mail them to
- The student will be notified by E-mail once the registration is received.
- The Training Director will assign the student to a class and assign a qualified South Carolina Forestry Commission (SCFC) instructor for the class.
- The students will have e-mail access to the instructor for any questions that may arise.
- The student will be told when the training will begin and when the on-line portion must be completed. Do not begin the training until told to do so by the SCFC Training Director. The student will also be notified when/ where the field portion will be administered.
- It is the student’s responsibility to provide the SCFC evidence that they have completed and passed the online portion of the training before taking the field portion of the training.
- Both the on-line and field portion of the training must be completed before the student receives credit for the class. The field portion of the training will include a written test administered by the SCFC and the construction of firelines using various fireline handtools (requires strength, stamina and physical exertion).
- The SCFC Training Director will maintain records on all personnel that have successfully completed the training.
South Carolina Forestry Commission
Attention: Training Director
P.O. Box 21707
Columbia, SC 29221
Live class room course
- The SCFC will offer at least one live session per year to be held at the SC Fire Academy.
Some links on this page require Adobe Acrobat reader. If you don't have Acrobat Reader you can get it free from Adobe Systems Inc. Adobe(R) Acrobat(R) Copyright © 2010 Adobe Systems Incorporated. All Rights Reserved.