SOUTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH
Columbia, South Carolina
|OFFICE OF THE STATE DIRECTOR OF MENTAL HEALTH||
DIRECTIVE NO. 894-09
TO: All Organizational Components
SUBJECT: Cultural Competence
A. Center and Facility directors will appoint staff that reflects the racial, ethnic, and cultural demographics of the population they serve.
B. Center and Facility Multi-Cultural Committees should also include clients, family members and constituents from local community organizations.
C. The Chair of the Center/Facility Multi-Cultural Committee will also serve as the representative to the Statewide Multi-Cultural Council
D. The Chair of the Center/Facility Multi-Cultural Committee will assume the responsibility for submitting an annual report to the Council on center/facility compliance with the statewide Multicultural Competence Directive.
Appointment to the Statewide Multi-Cultural Council
A. The Division of Community Mental Health Services will take responsibility for the establishment, maintenance, and support of a Statewide Multi-Cultural Council.
B. The Statewide council should reflect the racial, ethnic, and cultural demographics of the workforce and the population served.
C. The Statewide council should also include clients, family members and constituents from local community organizations.
D. Each Center and Facility chair will serve as Center/Facility representative to the Council.
E. Division Directors may likewise designate a staff representative to the Council.
F. The State Director or designee will appoint all other Council members and may add members as appropriate to assist the Council in carrying out its responsibilities.
A. The Statewide Multi-Cultural Council will:
- Develop a fluid agency wide strategic plan to ensure that DMH staff and services become and remain a culturally and linguistically competent system of care through the continual development of goals, objectives and action steps.
- Submit the plan and updates (as needed) to Governance for approval.
- Provide reports to Governance on the progress toward the achievement of a culturally and linguistically competent system of care.
- Coordinate with Centers/ Facilities/ Divisions to assure its workforce has access to culturally competent training seminars and workshops that are pertinent and relevant to both the workforce and the diversity of populations served.
B. Centers and Facilities will:
C. SCDMH will:
- Support that multiculturalism is embedded into all organizational units.
- Support that continuous efforts are made to recruit, retain and develop a culturally diverse workforce
- Support cultural competency of all staff through mandatory cultural competency training at the onset of employment and annually thereafter to maintain culturally and linguistically competent system of care at the South Carolina Department of Mental Health
- Support the monitoring of and dissemination of the level of cultural awareness, knowledge and skills of the SCDMH workforce.
- Support and promote the involvement of clients, their families and advocacy groups on the Council and in local center/facility committees.
This is the first directive titled “Cultural Competency”.
John H. Magill
State Director of Mental Health
September 15, 2009