SOUTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH
Columbia, South Carolina
|OFFICE OF THE STATE COMMISSIONER OF MENTAL HEALTH||DIRECTIVE NO. 665 - 85|
TO: All Facilities
SUBJECT: Placement of Juveniles
The purpose of this directive is to provide policy and guidance concerning the placement of juveniles committed to the inpatient psychiatric facilities operated by the South Carolina Department of Mental Health.
Placement of juveniles shall be determined as follows:
1. Patients age 15 and below shall not be hospitalized on adult wards.
2. Patients age 16 and 17 may be placed on adult units if the facility director deems this appropriate and the patient gives informed written consent.
3. Patients under age 18 shall not be hospitalized in an adult forensic unit, whether the patient consents or not.
4. Infrequently, a patient who is between the ages of 18 and 21 may be admitted to the Department of Mental Health from the Department of Youth Services. Such individuals shall be examined by a physician and by a clinician from the Child and Adolescent staff designated by the unit director. It shall be determined whether or not the patient has physical infirmities, emotional immaturity or similar attributes which would tend to make him/her incompatible with patients on an adult forensic unit. If such characteristics are observed, the patient will be placed in a non-forensic adult unit or in the child/adolescent unit, as deemed most appropriate by the examining physician. If such attributes are not present, the patient will be placed in the adult forensic unit or a less restrictive environment consistent with the patient's treatment and security indications.
5. Juveniles requiring acute medical care may be transferred to the Byrnes Medical Center when medically indicated and without the necessity for sight and sound separation from adults.
III. EFFECTIVE DATE
The guidelines provided above are effective immediately.
April 24, 1985