SOUTH CAROLINA DEPARTMENT OF MENTAL HEALTH
Columbia, South Carolina
|OFFICE OF THE STATE COMMISSIONER OF MENTAL HEALTH||
DIRECTIVE NO. 519-80
Directors of Professional Services
SUBJECT: Eyeglasses or Spectacles for Patients
The following procedures shall apply regarding eyeglasses or spectacles for patients:
1. It is expected that patients will enter the hospital with suitable eyeglasses.
2. Patients should buy their own glasses whenever possible.
3. No glasses will be furnished patients within the first 60 days of
hospitalization unless requested
in writing as an emergency by the patient's Staff Physician. An emergency is considered to be
an inability to function in the usual manner due to absence of glasses.
4. When a patient is referred to the Ophthalmologist for refraction
and glasses, the order will be
placed immediately with the Optician. An attempt will be made to have the relatives or the
patient pay for this order, but in case they are unable to do so the hospital will pay for the
spectacles. If the patient demands personally styled glasses instead of Department of Mental
Health issued glasses, the order will be held up until the Patient's Personal Fund Office receives
payment from the correspondent.
5. Spectacles will be repaired upon request of the Staff Physician
with an attempt to have the
correspondent pay for this, but in case of failure the hospital will pay for the repair.
This directive supersedes Directive No. 7-63 entitled "Eyeglasses for Spectacles for Patients.
January 3, 1980
Distribution- per Greg Kilburn 1-80
SCSH - 40 Hall Institute - 10
CFSH - 40 Tucker Center - 10
Dr. Hall Morris Village - 10
Dr. Ackerman Bryan Hospital - 10
Personnel COIL - Info