Bull Street Property Visitation Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in the South Carolina Department of Mental Health. Due to increased interest in the campus of the former South Carolina State Hospital (Bull Street), the South Carolina Department of Mental Health (DMH) has created a process for scheduling visits to the site. Here you will find the guidelines for obtaining permission to tour the site, and links to information related to the history of DMH.
We understand the Public's interest in the Bull Street campus and before the property begins to transfer into private ownership we want to give people the opportunity to visit. Because the Agency's mission is to provide good clinical care to its patients, DMH cannot provide access to the campus on all days or all times, nor provide guided tours. Instead, we have established guidelines for visits, with a prior approval process. Please submit requests several business days prior to your visit date.
Because of security and safety concerns, DMH does not permit, nor give permission for, members of the public to enter any buildings on the Bull Street property. Access to the interior of the buildings on the campus is strictly prohibited.
Portions of the Bull Street site have begun to be transferred to private ownership. As a result, some areas of the site are now off limits.
In addition, DMH frequently allows law enforcement to conduct training and exercises on the campus. On such dates, visitors are not allowed on the site.
Please call (803) 898-8581 for availability and restrictions.
On days when visits are permissible, the hours are as follows:
Monday through Friday - 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m., excluding State holidays.
*No visits December 24 through 27, 2014.
*No visits January 1, 2015.
- Each visitor must complete a photo/visit release form, whether he or she intends to take photos or not. This is to safeguard the privacy of employees and patients who are providing and receiving services on site.
- Visitors should avoid the areas of the campus that are still in use (and are not included in the portion of the campus under contract for sale), including the William S. Hall Institute, the Columbia Area Mental Health Center, and the Assessment and Resource Center. Please also avoid the Mills-Jarrett building, which is a location of the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. These buildings are also not included in the portion of the campus under contract for sale.
- Visitors must not enter any fenced areas, structures, or buildings.
- No interior access to buildings is permitted, with no exceptions.
- No visits after dark, with no exceptions.
- Please allow several days’ notice to receive your signed release form.
OTHER LINKS OF INTEREST:
If you have a question that is not answered here, please call (803) 898-8581, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 to 5:00 or send an e-mail to the DMH Office of Public Affairs.
State Hospital Gate
Photo: Tracy LaPointe/Katherine LaLima