Bull Street Property Visitation Guidelines
Thank you for your interest in the South Carolina Department of Mental Health. Due to increased interest in the campus of the former South Carolina State Hospital (Bull Street), the South Carolina Department of Mental Health (DMH) has created a process for scheduling visits to the site. Here you will find the guidelines for obtaining permission to tour the site, and links to information related to the history of DMH.
We understand the Public’s interest in the Bull Street campus and before the property begins to transfer into private ownership we want to give people the opportunity to visit. Because the agency’s mission is to provide good clinical care to its patients, DMH cannot provide access to the campus on all days or all times, nor provide guided tours. Instead, we have established guidelines for visits, with a prior approval process. Access to the interior of the buildings on the campus is strictly prohibited.
- Monday through Friday – 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday – 8:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Sundays – No visits.
DMH frequently allows law enforcement to conduct training and exercises on the campus. On these dates, visitors are not allowed on site.
**No visits allowed on Tuesday, March 4 or Wednesday, March 5
- Each visitor must complete a photo/visit release form, whether he or she intends to take photos or not. This is to safeguard the privacy of employees and patients who are providing and receiving services on site.
- Visitors should avoid the areas of the campus that are still in use (and are not included in the portion of the campus under contract for sale), including the William S. Hall Institute, the Columbia Area Mental Health Center, and the Assessment and Resource Center. Please also avoid the Mills-Jarrett building, which is a location of the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control. These buildings are also not included in the portion of the campus under contract for sale.
- Visitors must not enter any fenced areas, structures, or buildings.
- No interior access to buildings is permitted, with no exceptions.
- No visits after dark, with no exceptions.
- Please allow several days’ notice to receive your signed release form.
OTHER LINKS OF INTEREST:
- McKissick Museum Exhibit February 3 - May 31
Bull Street: A Forgotten Past and Uncertain Future
- DMH History
- DMH Cemetery Information
- Map of the Bull Street Campus
- Photo/Visit release form
If you have a question that is not answered here, please call (803) 898-8581, Monday through Friday, from 8:30 to 5:00 or send an e-mail to the DMH Office of Public Affairs.
State Hospital Gate
Photo: Tracy LaPointe/Katherine LaLima